Monday, November 17, 2014

Block Play (Yes even for 1st Grade)

If I had to have only a couple of centers in my classroom, blocks would definitely be one of them! I absolutely LOVE blocks and children love blocks too! Blocks are a natural element and feel good to touch and hold.

Noise and cleanup are the two biggest complaints I hear from teachers regarding block play. Well, it goes back to teaching procedures. First, blocks need to be played on a soft surface (rug, mat, or carpet). This will eliminate the noise as the blocks go crashing down. (But that's part of the fun - build it and knock it down). Second, use clean up as a learning opportunity or a game between students. It will make clean up so much more fun!!

I was perusing Dr. Jean's Blog and found this wonderful post on block play. Even first grade can implement theses activities. And if you need blocks, I am sure your kindergarten and CD friends will share with you!

Check out these ideas and bring some new life to your block center.


Dr. Jean's Block Play

No comments:

Post a Comment